[mythtv-users] recording conflicts

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 13 18:58:50 UTC 2008

On 08/13/2008 02:23 PM, Steve Heistand wrote:
> is there any way to have "mythtv" (FE/BE/web interface/etc) automatically
> notify me in some way when there is a recording conflict?
> the web interface does of course show this when I ask but
> if I dont look I would never know.

Using myth_upcoming_recordings.pl from the contrib/misc_status_info/
directory:

myth_upcoming_recordings.pl --recordings -1 --plain_text \
                            --no_show_scheduled \
                            --heading 'Recording Conflicts\n\n'

Will give you a list of conflicts or "No conflicts." in the event there
are no conflicts.

You can write a script to call this program and send its output as an
e-mail using mailx/sendmail/...

Or, you can set up a script (i.e. /home/mythtv/bin/misc_status_info ) as
the:

Miscellaneous Status Application:
External application or script that outputs extra information for
inclusion in the backend status page.  See contrib/misc_status_info/README

(specified in mythtv-setup under general backend settings).

The script should contain:
----- cut ----
#!/bin/bash

myth_upcoming_recordings.pl --recordings -1 \
                            --no_show_scheduled \
                            --heading '<h3>Recording Conflicts</h3>' \
                            --no_conflicts_message '<h3>No Conflicts</h3>'
----- cut ----

(note the removal of --plain_text) and the list of conflicts will appear
in the "Miscellaneous" section of the backend status page (available
through MythWeb's Status or http://<hostname>:6544/

For my misc_status_info, I have:

myth_recent_recordings.pl --recordings=-1 --hours=24 \
                          --heading '<h3>Shows Recorded Today</h3>'

You could put that in there, too--such as:
--- cut ---
#!/bin/bash

myth_recent_recordings.pl --recordings=-1 --hours=24 \
                          --heading '<h3>Shows Recorded Today</h3>'
myth_upcoming_recordings.pl --recordings -1 \
                            --no_show_scheduled \
                            --heading '<h3>Recording Conflicts</h3>' \
                            --no_conflicts_message '<h3>No Conflicts</h3>'

and you'll see what was just recorded as well as what conflicts will
occur.  In the event that you didn't have any shows recorded in the last
24 hours, that section will not appear.  In the even there are no
conflicts, the message "No Conflicts" will appear (because of the
--no_conflicts_message).

See the --help output for myth_upcoming_recordings.pl for more options.

Mike