[mythtv-users] Accessing mythweb from outside internal network

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Aug 13 19:51:57 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>>> Twice the monthly rate just to program the DVR remotely seems a bit OTT...
>> If it was twice the rate I'd probably forget it too, but in my case it's
>> not that pricey, and I need to not have port 25  blocked as I run a mail
>> server.
>
> Ah.  I hope you have a) a static address b) with good 3-way reverse
> DNS, in c) a non-dynamic IP range... :-)

A and B, yes, not sure about C.

I assume you mention that because some systems reject mail from dynamic
IP ranges. I've never had a problem with mail being rejected though.

I can't control the reverse DNS directly, but if I want it changed I
make a phone call and it happens within minutes, even at 2:00AM, so I'm
satisfied.

Obviously nobody in their right mind would move to a business account
just to program their DVR, and there are other solutions if that's what
you want to do, but the faster outbound speed, static IPs, and better
support might well be worth it to a lot of folks. A lot of people who
might benefit from a business account are not aware of its availability.

beww