[mythtv-users] Satellite Receiver with ATSC (not analog/NTSC) output on Ch 3 or 4?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Aug 13 20:29:20 UTC 2008

Larry on the Dell Laptop wrote:
.

>> Why not use the baseband output of the receiver?
>>
>> beww
>>

> By baseband output, you mean the RCA Video  out connector  or the
> S-Video connector on back of the DishNetwork receiver?

Yes.

> If so, my
> problem is distributing that signal on my internal house wiring through
> my RG6 coaxial network.  I'm familiar with using a pc as a front end
> then connecting to the backend via ethernet LAN.  That works well if you
> have a PC nearby. Too bad my fancy yet expensive Sony ATSC sets don't
> have a PC in them with a twisted pair ethernet input.  The guts of my
> Sony Bravia must be pretty close as it is GPLed.

You don't need a full-blown PC for a front end, at least not for SD. A
MediaMVP will do it.

But that's not what you want, I realize.

I suppose you could try to run 10-base-2 over the RG-6, the impedance
mismatch might not matter too much if the runs are short :-) (just kidding).

I suppose an ATSC modulator might solve your problem, but they tend to
be pricey, you could buy an entire PC for the cost of one.

beww