[mythtv-users] HD-PVR and 0.21: any way to add it as a capture card?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Aug 14 03:12:20 UTC 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 7:59 PM, Bob Sully wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Bob Sully wrote:
>>
>> Can you even get the content to play back on your machine? The
>> content
>> is kicking my AMD 64 X2 4400+'s butt right now.
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/345627
>>

> Brad:
>
> It plays fine on my main Mythbox (combined FE/BE; Quad-core 6600 at
> 2.4GHz).  I have a FE machine upstairs (a slightly overclocked
> AMD-64x2
> 5600+; 2.4 -> 2.52GHz); on that box it was a little choppy but not
> bad (I
> think if I had recorded it at a slightly lower bitrate it would play
> completely cleanly). Both are using nvidia cards (8600 on the 6600 and
> 7600 on the AMD).
>
> Bob
>
> How much can you OC your 4400+? ;-)

I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve before I'm willing to kick it
to the curb. We'll see how it goes.

Now, I wouldn't normally recommend potentially trashing your system to
support a video capture device, but I have to say it was completely
painless on mythbuntu. I am experiencing some stability issues with
trunk right now and I've started paying attention to the -dev and -
commit lists now (instead of just glancing at messages). If you're
afraid to jump right in, I recommend following those lists and
strategically choosing when to upgrade based on bug reports, user
reports and features that get included.