[mythtv-users] HD-PVR and 0.21: any way to add it as a capture card?

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Aug 14 03:52:35 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2008, at 7:59 PM, Bob Sully wrote:
>
>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>> On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Bob Sully wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you even get the content to play back on your machine? The
>>> content
>>> is kicking my AMD 64 X2 4400+'s butt right now.
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/345627
>>>

>> Brad:
>>
>> It plays fine on my main Mythbox (combined FE/BE; Quad-core 6600 at
>> 2.4GHz).  I have a FE machine upstairs (a slightly overclocked
>> AMD-64x2
>> 5600+; 2.4 -> 2.52GHz); on that box it was a little choppy but not
>> bad (I
>> think if I had recorded it at a slightly lower bitrate it would play
>> completely cleanly). Both are using nvidia cards (8600 on the 6600 and
>> 7600 on the AMD).
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> How much can you OC your 4400+? ;-)
>
> I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve before I'm willing to kick it
> to the curb. We'll see how it goes.
>
> Now, I wouldn't normally recommend potentially trashing your system to
> support a video capture device, but I have to say it was completely
> painless on mythbuntu. I am experiencing some stability issues with
> trunk right now and I've started paying attention to the -dev and -
> commit lists now (instead of just glancing at messages). If you're
> afraid to jump right in, I recommend following those lists and
> strategically choosing when to upgrade based on bug reports, user
> reports and features that get included.

Brad -

Yeah, it sounds like you have a decent machine there, it would be a shame
to kick it to the curb.  I'll bet that with upcoming improvements in some
of the libraries, with a bit of tweaking it may well be adequate.

I actually wouldn't have to trash anything...I have two "extra" partitions
on the boot drive, so I can have both installed, and when I decide which
to stay with, just copy the current database to the main partition of the
selected distro.  So I'm willing to install Mythbuntu and play with it a
bit, even if it's a bit squirrely.  However, I probably won't do this
until after the Olympics, since my Mythbox is doing overtime for the next
couple of weeks. :-)

Bob