[mythtv-users] single recordings and that blasted 'N'

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 14 16:50:16 UTC 2008

On 08/14/2008 12:19 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Glen wrote:
>>>  I have recently been plagued with the dreaded N in my recording
>>>  schedule. I set something to single record eg. a movie and then I
>>>  either find out that it hasn't recorded or if I am lucky I catch it
>>>  in the upcoming recordings listed with an N. Now if I understand it
>>>  correctly, it gets an N when the show you tagged for recording no
>>>  longer appears in the time slot. I am guessing this because the time
>>>  slot only changed about 2-3 minutes (eg from 8:55-10:55 to
>>>  8:52-10:52) and when I selected record again I had two listings with
>>>  the original marked with an N. I have come across this before, was
>>>  annoyed, but didn't worry too much cos it only happened once. Last
>>>  weekend it happened to me at least 4 times!!
>>>
>> Use, 'Record one showing of this title' ('Find and record one showing of
>> this title' in MythWeb), rather than, 'Record only this showing.'
>>
>> If your rule is too restrictive, Myth will do only what you've permitted
>> it to do.
>>
>> Don't worry, the rules will get cleaned up once it records.
>>
> Of course the problem with that, Mike, is that "Find One" *only* looks
> at the title of the show, and not the subtitle.  So, it does not work
> if you want a specific episode of a show.

True, but for the OP's case--a movie--it works perfectly.  It's the only
way I ever schedule movies to record.

OK, you could say that if you schedule a find one for the movie Bones
and Fox happens to run an episode of its series Bones, you could end up
with the wrong one, but in those cases you can use a more specific
recording rule type (this episode).  And, if your listings provider
messes with your listings, then you'll have to fix it.  IMHO, this
corner case (where someone is messing with the times in your listings)
isn't worth a 'Find one showing of this episode' rule type, but if
others want it, patches will be considered (by someone who hasn't
expressed his opinion).  ;)

Mike