[mythtv-users] Yet another potential FrontEnd

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Fri Aug 15 14:29:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> 802.11g only the mini ; I wish it was 802,11n
> Can't stream HDTV (1080i) with 802.11g unfortunately ; had to wire the menu

Not to take this off topic but...
I see this piece of info on the list all the time and often wonder if I'm
breaking the laws of physics or if people actually just have really bad
coverage in their homes. I stream mpeg2 HD with 802.11g all the time.
Typically bitrates from broadcast TV top out around 19Mbps... doesn't g
potentially go up to 54Mbps? Even if you halve that you're still rocking
27Mbp.. plenty of bandwidth. Of course I'd rather use wired if I have the
chance but g isn't unusable for this task if you spend a few minutes
designing your wireless network effectively.

To be a little more on topic. This is a ludicrously expensive piece of kit.
It probably can't do mpeg4 1080p playback anyway, so put together some 3
year old crap and slap in a 5200 or 6200 in a crappy case, put it in a
closet and run some cable to your TV for audio, video and remote sensor. I'd
much rather have the box completely out of sight than spend a couple hundred
dollars trying to make it quiet and nice looking. I just put together an
Athlon 1800+ based frontend using parts I found in my basement (I do some
moonlighting tech support for people so end up with broken crap all the
time... I scavenge the useful things and recycle the rest). It plays back HD
content using XvMC no problem, I put it in the closet so we can't hear it,
and it cost me nothing (well, I probably bought a couple of the components
at one point, but still).