[mythtv-users] Can play recording, but can't fast forward !

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 15 14:38:25 UTC 2008

On 08/15/2008 10:22 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2008/8/16 Michael T. Dean:
>
>>> Which I fixed using the following command:
>>> mysqlcheck --auto-repair -A -u mythtv -pmysqlpass
>> Better is to run the script optimize_mythdb.pl (from the contrib
>> directory) to fix the crash (as it requires no options and the wrong
>> options to mysqlcheck will prevent it from doing the right thing).  As a
>> matter of fact, you should probably put that script in a daily cron job
>> as mentioned in the comments at the top of the script.
>>

> I did run optimize_mythdb.pl ; but only after running the line above
> ... I ran the command because suddenly the issue appeared again .
>
> Do you think the command I run earlier prevented optimize_mythdb.pl to
> do its job properly ?

No.  The optimize_mythdb.pl does a repair as well as an analyze and
optimize on all the myth tables (all three of which need to be done
"occasionally").  Perhaps it's possible (though I would say very
improbable) that the optimize/analyze (which can shrink database tables)
may have revealed more problems than were apparent after the first
repair, but I couldn't explain how (if it is possible)...

So, I'd think if it happened again, you may have some problems with your
filesystem or storage.  Generally, the MySQL tables will only crash when
MySQL dies unexpectedly during a write or something (i.e. power blink or
whatever).  It definitely shouldn't be happening frequently.

I'd highly recommend:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore .  As a
matter of fact, if I were you, I'd backup the DB (to another disk--or at
least put a copy on another disk), do a full filesystem check, drop the
database, run mc.sql, then restore the backup to see if it's more
stable.  Oh, and I'd also put the backup script into a cron job (with
--directory (or the DBBackupDirectory in the backup resource file)
specifying a directory on a different disk) just in case there's a
problem with the drive containing the MySQL database.

BTW, feedback on the backup and restore scripts is much appreciated.
:)  I'm hoping to have them able to do everything that 0.22 users will
need before 0.22 is released.

Mike