[mythtv-users] Yet another potential FrontEnd

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 15:28:44 UTC 2008

Hi

2008/8/16 David Schlenk <mythtv at schdav.org>:
> Not to take this off topic but...
> I see this piece of info on the list all the time and often wonder if I'm
> breaking the laws of physics or if people actually just have really bad
> coverage in their homes. I stream mpeg2 HD with 802.11g all the time.

how many wireless client do you have?

Sometimes I can stream ; sometimes I can't. Obviously I want something
consistent.

> Typically bitrates from broadcast TV top out around 19Mbps... doesn't g
> potentially go up to 54Mbps? Even if you halve that you're still rocking

54Mbit/s is half-duplex ; you must halve that

Then you have all the overheads

The other issue is latency and packet loss ; not working well at all
when streaming mpeg2 .

> 27Mbp.. plenty of bandwidth. Of course I'd rather use wired if I have the
> chance but g isn't unusable for this task if you spend a few minutes
> designing your wireless network effectively.

even with direct line of sight ; I have never been able to stream HDTV
reliably in my place ; and I have about 4 802.11g client always
connected .

My mini is wired with gigabit ethernet anyway

the laptop I use to stream HD is over 802.11N and that works well.

JY