[mythtv-users] Can I 1) Mythbrowser without mythbackend? 2) Display progress bar while mplayer buffering?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Aug 16 08:20:30 UTC 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Michael Moore wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 15, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Michael Moore wrote:
>>
>>> I just got my Myth system set up. It's working pretty well, but I
>>> was
>>> wondering if there's a good way to do any of the following...
>>>
>>> 1) Is there a way to use Mythbrowser and Mythweather without the
>>> backend being turned on? Right now if it can't connect it goes to
>>> the
>>> setup screen. If there's even a way to point mythfrontend at a
>>> different profile, I wouldn't even mind using a script in
>>> my .xinitrc
>>> to decide which profile to use.
>>
>> No. The frontend needs to connect to a backend when starting up.
>> There's no other way for it to get the information from the database
>> as to which frontend is connecting and which settings to use for that
>> particular frontend - in your case, display properties, weather
>> settings, browser settings, etc.
>
> So this is probably dumb, but might work then?
>
> I could have a backup backend running on the frontend. .xinitrc would
> detect if mysql is available and if it's not, it would move a
> .mythtv_localbackend folder to .mythtv before starting MythTV. If
> mysql to the real backend is detected, it would make sure that the
> correct .mythtv folder was in place.

Sounds like a lot of work just to not run one known good backend
running all the time. The machine will need to be on to serve the
files anyway so why not run the backend process as well?

>> That being said, the backend is meant to ALWAYS be on so recordings
>> will take place when the time comes. Is there a reason you don't want
>> it to be on?
>
> I'm not actually doing recordings. We don't have cable or get much OTA
> so I'm just using it to share our home movies, photos and music from
> our bigger 'server' computer into the living room.

Gotcha. Still don't know why you don't want the backend running all
the time. It really needs to be and takes up hardly any CPU when it's
just waiting for stuff to do.

>>> 2) Is there a way to display a progress bar while mplayer is
>>> buffering
>>> the video (when using Mythvideo). I have a large buffer set
>>> (300M), so
>>> on large files mplayer can take a long time to start. I've thought
>>> that it was frozen several times when loading large videos.
>>
>> No, you'd have to write a script to get the progress from mplayer and
>> display it yourself. The frontend doesn't integrate that closely with
>> mplayer or any external player. It simply launches what you tell it
>> launch or uses the internal player.
>>
>> Why are you setting such a large buffer to start a video? Even if you
>> are streaming video wirelessly, 300M is overkill.
>
> Probably because I'm a noob. Some of the videos I haven't reencoded
> yet are 13 gigs or so and our wireless is pretty flakey. They were
> stuttering a lot and someone on IRC suggested trying something big
> like that.

Understood. Just try a smaller buffer. Better still... fix your
wireless. :)