[mythtv-users] "Woodchuck" sound on TV playback

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sat Aug 16 09:11:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 6:47 PM, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
>> This is what I recommend to set up digital sound.
>>
>> 1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
>> 2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio.  I think this is with Fedora.
>> 3) Sound ALSA:default
>> 4) Passthrough ALSA:spdif
>> 5) check Stereo (not 5.1)
>> 6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer
>>
>> chipmunks and digital noise should be gone.
>>
>> Allen
>
> I'm having this same issue with the "woodchuck" or "static chatter"
> sounds, as it has been described here, when trying to passthrough
> sound to my HT receiver.  I was hoping that following these steps
> would fix the problem, but unfortunately it did not.  I saw the
> suggestion in a previous posts to turn off AC3/DTS passthrough in the
> MythTV setup, and when I do this I do the get audio, but I WANT the
> passthrough enabled (red light comes on on the receiver, full 5.1
> sound, etc.).  I've gotten it to work on other frontends, but nothing
> I've tried has been successful on this one.
>
> One thing I'm curious about is step 6, where you say "turn on iec958
> in alsamixer".  In my alsamixer settings I've got a regular volume bar
> for IEC958.  I've un-muted it and pushed it all the way up to 100.
> I've also got another "IEC958 Playback Source" setting, which I can
> toggle through four settings: PCM, ADC1, ADC2, and ADC3.  So far in my
> testing, if I set it to PCM I get the "static chatter"; if I set it to
> any of the other settings I get nothing.
>
> For reference, I'm running Fedora 9.  I've gotten the same results
> regardless of whether or not I have pulse audio installed (it is
> currently not installed).  I've also tried using the
> .asoundrc/asound.conf file from the MythTV wiki with the same results.
>  My sound card is on-board, and shows up as an HDA Intel / AD198x.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> John

On my system the IEC958 setting is a mute button, not a slider.  You
must have something in there adding capability to the system.  Hunt it
down and kill it.  Make sure your config files are gone and that Pulse
Audio is uninstalled.  I helped someone else with the same steps that
had Fedora and he went to some special trouble to get rid of
PulseAudio if I remember correctly.  You might search the archives
this month and last and see if you can find it.  Anyway, he for sure
removed it and didn't just turn it off.

That control should definitely not be a slider.

Allen