[mythtv-users] Transcode:Keeping AC3

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 16:27:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 9:21 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, AFAIK this ability never existed in Myth.  With that said im sure
>>> mencoder or whatever encoder Myth is using to transcode has the
>>
>> Yup. Mencoder does have this option. Skipping the recompression
>> of the audio in a file does add a little extra bulk but it is
>> really quite small compared to the original file size.
>>
>> [deletia]
>>
>> Just use the "copy" option for the audio encoder.
>
> Sorry if I'm a little slow here... so would I be able to transcode to
> mpeg4 by setting up the proper options for one of the transcode
> profiles in Settings>TV settings>Recording Profiles>Transcoders , or,
> do I need to write a script that uses mencoder and call it with a
> custom user job?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

I seem to have found the answer:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5549088&highlight=transcode+mpeg4#post5549088

Apparently, High Quality, Medium Quality, and Low Quality are all
broken in 0.21.  You need to go into the Autodetect from MPEG2
transcoding profile and change the codec there to MPEG4.  You can then
adjust the bitrate as appropriate.  For some reason, using that
profile, 0.21 will "find" the MPEG4 codec.