[mythtv-users] TRying to configure auto shutdown and startup

Aaron Klein klein.aaron at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 19:42:01 UTC 2008

I have a primary backend/frontend and a secondary backend/frontend.  I
would like to setup the systems so they shutdown when not in use
automaticly.  I have tried walking through the following how to on the
mythtv wiki.http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ACPI_Wakeup I am
having issues with getting this to work.  I am running mythbuntu 8.04
and I can manually schedule a wakeup using the /proc/acpi/alarm
interface on both systems.  Meaning if I run echo "+00-00-00 00:05:00"
> /proc/acpi/alarm as root and then do a shutdown the system will
startup in 5 minutes.  Given that sucess I figured I could get the
rest to work.  I tried using the settings and information further down
on the wiki page but I am not seeing the systems shutdown.  I have
tried looking at various logs and I don't see any enteries as to what
would be causing the shutdown to not schedule.

I have set the following settings on the primery backend based on the
wikis suggestions.

Block shutdown: (checked, if you run frontend and backend on 1 machine)
Idle Timeout (seconds): 300 (if you set this to 0, it will disable
auto shutdown)
Max wait (minutes): 30
Startup before rec. (seconds): 300
Wakeup time format: time_t
Set wakeuptime command: sudo /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh $time
Server halt command: sudo mythshutdown --shutdown
Pre-shutdown command: sudo mythshutdown --check

I used the sample script sample.sh and named it setwakeup.sh and did a
chmod +x to the script to permit it to run.