[mythtv-users] "Woodchuck" sound on TV playback

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sat Aug 16 21:23:20 UTC 2008

> Audio worked perfectly for me in 7.10, but upgrading to 8.04 caused the
> same issue as described by the OP when attempting to watch a DVD.
>
> I did not do step #1, or step #2 though.
>
>  - Nick Bright
 Because my first list was incorrect, I am republishing it with some additions:

1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio.  I think this is with Fedora.
3) Sound ALSA:apdif
4) Passthrough ALSA:iec958:(AESO 0x02)
5) MaxAudio channels: Stereo
6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer
7) Other Myth Audio settings:
x Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough
x Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough
  Agressive Sound Card buffers (not checked)
  Use Internal Volume controls (not checked in my case but I don't
think this matters)

It is particularly important to not use the config files with the
settings from the wiki.  Having the config files overwrites the
default settings of the program.  As far as I can tell, there are no
published settings of the config files that work.  This is
particularly true if you want bit true audio as all ALSA does if you
use other settings is decide, mess up the quality, then reencode.

Hope this helps, let me know.

Allen