[mythtv-users] ITV HD Listings Data...

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Sun Aug 17 08:40:31 UTC 2008

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 13/08/2008, Robert <RobertCL at iname.com> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>>  ITV have started publishing info on their website[*] about which
>>  programs will also be broadcast in HD - not exactly shouting about it
>>  though :-(
>>
>>  When I emailed them a few weeks ago pointing out that I didn't really
>>  have the time to sit and wait for the "HD" logo to appear on the screen
>>  and then "press the red button", they told me that they would be making
>>  this data available to listings providers[**] - whatever that may mean
>>  and also on the Freesat EPG.  (I didn't bother to mention the fact that
>>  I'd be hoping to record it anyway and hence skipping their ads ;-) )
>>
>>  I know someone on the list has a contact with the Radio Times XMLTV
>>  people and I was wondering if there was any way we could get this info
>>  fed through there and into either the HDTV column in the database or as
>>  a separate channel so that we could get an ITV-HD channel in the
>>  listings.  I've had a quite look in the XML for the offending program,
>>  but there is nothing that I can see marking it as also in HD.
>
> I've requested the ITV HD channel be added - but I've not had any
> helpful replies from the Radio Times since May '08.
>
> If the data they provide can somehow flag whether programmes are HD,
> I'll be able to make sure that the XMLTV output makes this clear via
> the <video> element's quality attribute.

I guess it's probably not their highest priority - lets hope they get
round to it eventually.  Thanks for trying!

My recording of The Mummy Returns from ITV HD had mixed success - I
missed the end of it!  Probably just my mistake in setting up the manual
record.

As for the bit I did get, Myth played it back - just - and the quality
was excellent.  Didn't seem very keen on seeking within the recording.
Crashed the frontend a few times while trying to do just that.  Also had
a few problems with stuttering and pauses, which I think was due to the
endless logging of messages into the frontend logfile which caused it to
grow to 27Mb in size!

  [h264 @ 0xb7344028]Interlaced pictures + spatial direct mode is not
implemente

Googling, this seems to be an ffmpeg problem in that they just haven't
implemented support for it.

Robert.