[mythtv-users] Backend seems to be crashing frontend -- recurring problem??

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sun Aug 17 08:44:04 UTC 2008

Thanks for the reply.

Answers bottom posted below your questions:

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/08/2008, Allen Edwards <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
>> I am in deep trouble here.  My wife has put me on notice.
>>
>>  Myth will play two or three shows and then play garbage or lockup.  I
>>  repaired the DB and everything shows "OK"  Still problems.
>>
>>  Here is what I did as an official experiment.
>>  1) Rebooted
>>  2) Watched GMA and exited
>>  3) Watched GMA and exited
>>  4) Watched GMA and exited
>>  5) Tried to watch GMA but noticed the preview failed
>>  6) Tried to view GMA and it showed garbage instead of a picture exited
>>  7) Tried to view GMA and frontend locked up.
>
> Can you just check that you can successfully record and watch
> recordings from your capture card outside of MythTV (using
> kaffeine/mplayer etc), so we can try to pin down where the problems
> are arising. Your posted log does seem to point to bad video data
> during playback.

I can record and watch recordings inside of myth.  I should have said
that the experiment above watched the same show three times with no
errors in the logs before it crashed.  At that point, I couldn't watch
anything.  Once I reset the system, rebooted, restarted-X, it again
played that show fine.  for example, we watched 4 hours of Olympics
without a hitch so this seems fine.

> Have you recently updated your kernel/capture card/video card drivers?
No

> Have you checked your backend's hard drive(s) for errors?
Did that just now forcing a fsck check on boot up.  No errors reported
in the log.

> Have you recently upgraded the installed version of MythTV?
No

> You might also temporarily want to run mythbackend and mythfrontend
> with full verbose logging in case it reveals any more useful clues.

The latest log shows that while we were watching the olympics, the log
was filling up with this (2 to 12 per second):
2008-08-17 00:03:05.550 NVP::AddAudioData():p1: Audio buffer overflow,
audio data lost!
I am afraid to get more errors in the frontend log.

> Hang in there :)

I really need some help here.

Allen