[mythtv-users] "Woodchuck" sound on TV playback

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 19:01:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
>> Audio worked perfectly for me in 7.10, but upgrading to 8.04 caused the
>> same issue as described by the OP when attempting to watch a DVD.
>>
>> I did not do step #1, or step #2 though.
>>
>>  - Nick Bright
>  Because my first list was incorrect, I am republishing it with some additions:
>
> 1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
> 2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio.  I think this is with Fedora.
> 3) Sound ALSA:apdif
> 4) Passthrough ALSA:iec958:(AESO 0x02)
> 5) MaxAudio channels: Stereo
> 6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer
> 7) Other Myth Audio settings:
> x Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough
> x Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough
>  Agressive Sound Card buffers (not checked)
>  Use Internal Volume controls (not checked in my case but I don't
> think this matters)
>
> It is particularly important to not use the config files with the
> settings from the wiki.  Having the config files overwrites the
> default settings of the program.  As far as I can tell, there are no
> published settings of the config files that work.  This is
> particularly true if you want bit true audio as all ALSA does if you
> use other settings is decide, mess up the quality, then reencode.
>
> Hope this helps, let me know.
>
> Allen

Yes!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  My problem is solved.  The
keys were the changes in steps 3 & 4.

Maybe this is explained elsewhere, but I couldn't find it, so can
anyone tell me what "ALSA:iec958:(AESO 0x02)" means, particularly the
"AES 0x02" part?  Also, can anyone tell me how to pass this along to
mplayer?

Thanks again,
John