[mythtv-users] Debugging XvMC

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Aug 18 04:41:34 UTC 2008

Kingsley Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an on-board nVidia 7100 card
>
>     # lspci | grep VGA
>     00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce
> 7100/nForce 630i (rev a2)
>
> And when X starts up, it loads the extension:
>
>     # grep XVideo-MotionCompensation /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>     (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
>
> The library config looks ok:
>
>     # cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
>     libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
>
> And the library exists
>     # find / -iname libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
>     /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
>

> But when I try to test-play something:
>     # mplayer -vo xvmc blah.mpg
>     vo_xvmc: X-Video extension 2.2
>     vo_xvmc: No X-Video MotionCompensation Extension on :0.0
>
> And there's no picture.
>
> Does this mean my on-board card doesn't have XvMC ?
>
> thanks,
> -Noob

No it means you didn't make the correct sacrifice at the dark of the
moon. A rooster is good but a goat is better.

Seriously, try 'mplayer -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc  ....'

That's the really secret incantation. xvmc will not work without both of
those switches. But you can always use mplayer -vo help and mplayer -vc
help to see all the secret incantations.

All the rest of the stuff you listed looks right. Check the wiki to make
sure you have all the correct things in your xorg.conf.

Geoff