[mythtv-users] Backend seems to be crashing frontend -- recurring problem??

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Mon Aug 18 13:56:07 UTC 2008

I am about to reinstall myth.  I can't see how else to solve this
problem.  I hope I don't have to reinstall myth every two months.

The machine doesn't die, the thing just won't play the shows right, or
X dies, or the frontend locks up.  I get this problem without anything
locking up some times, just plays gray screen of junk.  I don't think
it is the video card as it happens on two frontends with completely
different setups.  Also, I can watch the video with mythweb while the
machine is locked up.

dmesg last line looks bad:
[27347.790313] mythfilldatabas[7652]: segfault at 56c518f9 eip
0817a5b8 esp b465101c error 4

any idea what that is about?

Allen