[mythtv-users] Backend seems to be crashing frontend -- recurring problem??

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Aug 18 14:05:12 UTC 2008

Allen Edwards wrote:
> I am about to reinstall myth.  I can't see how else to solve this
> problem.  I hope I don't have to reinstall myth every two months.
>
> The machine doesn't die, the thing just won't play the shows right, or
> X dies, or the frontend locks up.  I get this problem without anything
> locking up some times, just plays gray screen of junk.  I don't think
> it is the video card as it happens on two frontends with completely
> different setups.  Also, I can watch the video with mythweb while the
> machine is locked up.
>
> dmesg last line looks bad:
> [27347.790313] mythfilldatabas[7652]: segfault at 56c518f9 eip
> 0817a5b8 esp b465101c error 4
>
> any idea what that is about?

I would put your power supply high on the list of suspects. It may not be
powerful enough, or just got old. Running memcheck probably wouldn't hurt
either. Definitely sounds hardware-ish.

If you need more help, you will probably have to give more detail. How many
boxes, frontend/backend/both? What motherboards, processors, memory, disks,
operating systems, Mythtv versions, etc.

--

Mike Perkins