[mythtv-users] "Woodchuck" sound on TV playback

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 14:21:56 UTC 2008

> Mike, would you be willing to post your ALSA config file?  Now that I
> know the setup I can use to get passthrough working I'm confident I
> can always go back to this point, but I would be interested in having
> things configured with a proper ALSA config file so that I don't have
> to specify these cryptic (to me, at least) devices in myth, mplayer,
> xine, etc.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> John

Yes, I'd also be interested in seeing your config.  I thought that I was
correct when my FE wasn't putting out 5.1 AC3 from QAM256 HD.  I knew it
should.  But in order to stop the "digital noise" (ie: Woodchuck noise) I
had to uncheck the:

Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough
Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough

I'd really like to get that back.  Is there no way to do that with the
Creative Live 5.1 card?  I can buy a different one if necessary.  Turtle
Beach?  Thanks!

Jim