[mythtv-users] Backend seems to be crashing frontend -- recurring problem??

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Mon Aug 18 23:19:11 UTC 2008

> If you need more help, you will probably have to give more detail. How many
> boxes, frontend/backend/both? What motherboards, processors, memory, disks,
> operating systems, Mythtv versions, etc.

OK, this is getting strange.  I have discovered that the front end
locks up if I try and play any show form Channel 9 (KQED) recorded
after 8/15.  I can play any channel 9 show before 8/15 and I can play
any show on any other channel.  Any show from Channel 9 previews and
looks like a gray screen with some attempt at showing the content of
the show in little flickering blocks, maybe 1 inch by 1/4 inch. I have
been calling that digital noise.

I don't see anything different in the bit rates per and post these
dates and I am in some cases looking at different episodes of the same
show, before 8/15 they play, after 8/15 they don't.

The shows play with mythweb on a remote computer and it will play with
mplayer on the combined system!!!!

If I let it preview any channel 9 show after 8/15, no show will play
(inlcuding ones that otherwise play) until I CRTL-ALT-BS, then it
resets and acts as I described.

OK, here is my hardware:
System 1 combined FE-BE.  Mythbuntu 8.04 all updated yesterday.  About
2 months old
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Second Western Digital Caviar 500GB SATA drive similar to the above
ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T OEM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
ASUS M3A AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
ASUS EN6200LE TC1G/TD/512M GeForce 6200LE 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
Antec earthwatts EA380 380W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply
HD-HR
2 Air2PC cards.
Rooftop antenna
Pre-amp at the antenna
a few splitters
RG6U Quad shielded coax.

System 2 frontend only.  About  5 years old.
Asus P4P800E Deluxe MB
Intel 2.4GHz P4
500MB Memory
eVGA 6200 AGP Video