[mythtv-users] Yet another potential FrontEnd

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Aug 19 02:07:40 UTC 2008

Raphael wrote:
> I have found that streaming works very well over wireless when the main
> backend containing the recordings is hardwired via ethernet, and then
> the client watching the recording is on 802.11g. When both my backend
> and the client are on wireless, there's no chance to stream HD, although
> SD still works.

Yeah, when both are on wireless, going through an access point, you
halve the available bandwidth.  The access point has to receive each
packet and then resend it, doubling the amount of activity contending
for the channel.

I live in a big apartment complex, and there are at least six wireless
networks within range of me.  It took me a few tries to find a channel
clear enough that I could stream *SD* content, and that was with the
laptop sitting right next to the access point. ;)

802.11 signals are spread-spectrum and are three channels wide, so the
number of possibilities to get a truly clear channel are not as great as
they would initially seem.