[mythtv-users] Remote Control Options...

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Aug 19 20:41:57 UTC 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Michael Tiller wrote:

> Brad,
>
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com
> > wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Michael Tiller wrote:
>
> > The thing that strikes me in looking at all this is that so many of
> > the non PVR-150 approaches seem to require patching LIRC (and when I
> > first built my Myth system so did the PVR-150).  It makes you
> > wonder...what DOES work with LIRC out of the box?  :-)
>
> http://www.lirc.org/
>
> There's a list of supported remotes and supported hardware on the home
> page.
>
> Yes, I know.  I was sort of joking

I was basically putting that there for academic purposes for anyone in
the future following this thread.

> The UDP connection with the HDHR is really slick and it makes you
> wonder why people don't use that when they add new hardware instead
> of hacking the source for LIRC and sending out patches.  Seems like
> a very clean interface between the device specific I/O code and the
> IR interpretation stuff...but what do I know.

I don't use it because I have two other IR receivers built into my box
(One in the VFD and one on my capture card) and now I don't need
direct line of sight to my HDHR. Personally I think it's kind of ugly
so I hide it in my media rack. Black would have been nice. :)

> I use the streamzap remote on my AppleTV. Plugged in the USB receiver,
> chose StreamZap from the IR config in Mythbuntu and it worked. I
> modified the buttons to my tastes, but the default worked ok.
> I think I paid $25 at Fry's for it.
>
> OK, that looks promising.  They imply on their web site that this
> should work "out of the box" with LIRC.  Can anybody confirm that? :-)

I thought I just did.

> Can the IR receiver be used with other remotes (universal remotes as
> well)?

As long as the remotes use the same type of IR codes, yeah. Here's a
page that explains IR and the different code set "standard protocols":
http://www.sbprojects.com/knowledge/ir/ir.htm

The thing I love about standards is that there are so many to choose
from that you can usually find the one you like. ;)