[mythtv-users] Is my JFS broken ?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 19:55:07 UTC 2008

>> I will consider  buying a new disk. It would be quite difficult to identify
>> the broken bits as the filesystem resides on a logical volume built over 2
>> software RAID arrays (raid1, 2 disks and raid5, 4 disks). I know this is an
>> awful mess. TV shows and movies are not so important, but I am disappointed
>> : the RAID was inefficient to prevent this kind of problem.
> That (and the lack of errors) implies that it's not actually a hardware problem.

I do not believe this is a hardware problem either. In my experience
with md (I have 100+ drives in linux software raid 5 and 6 at home and
at work) if there is any kind of disk hardware problem (like a loose
power connector) md will kick the drive out of the array and happily
go on without corrupting data until the second or third drive (raid 6)
is kicked out and in this case the whole array will go down.

John