[mythtv-users] Info on HDHomeRun?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 03:30:42 UTC 2008

I have never really been too interested in the HDHomeRun as it seemed a
North Amercanism, and no use in my part of the world (New Zealand).

However there are rumours of a DVB-T version to be released at some point,
and that WOULD be useful :-)

What I am not sure of is how these things function? Do they process the
video stream at all or do they just put the exact stream they receive out
over the network to your mythtv machine?

I merely wonder because our HD h264 streams are difficult to decode, and if
the HDHomeRun was to do some conversion to something more palatable then it
would be extremely useful. If on the other hand it is just passing off the
same stream it receives then the decoding difficulties would not be solved
at all.

I realise that any answers will relate to the ATSC/QAM version, but I would
be interested in an answer in any event.

Thanks.