[mythtv-users] Live TV expires too quickly.

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Aug 21 04:10:10 UTC 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 8:05 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:

> Record it instead of watching it live.
> No, really.. if you want to keep something, press R(ecord) while
> watching it. It will be magically transformed into a regular
> recording.
>
> Well, in this particular case,  I didn't know I wanted to record it
> until after the fact.
>
> Basically, my inlaws came over and missed Phelps winning his eighth
> gold so I was going to show them how cool my MythTV box was and go
> back and let them watch it when I realized it had already been erased.
>
> I wouldn't worry about it too much but I figure, what's the point of
> recording Live TV (beyond what is necessary to pause or rewind to
> watch something you missed) if it's just going to get deleted one
> minute after you exit Live TV.

Exactly. No point in recording Live TV. ;)

If you wanted to solve this problem by investing in another hard drive
you can set LiveTV to always record to a second drive (second storage
group) so you know there will be room to keep them. Scheduled
recordings will always go into your other storage group and expire
those recordings (I believe).

-Brad