[mythtv-users] NAS mobo

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Thu Aug 21 13:54:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:43:22 -0400, John Drescher wrote
> > Hadn't thought of PCIe, guess I'm living in the past with the 133Mhz.
> > 64-bit bus architecture.
> >
> PCI-X will work as well but it will require a more expensive server
> board. I guess if you are going to spend $2000 US or more  on 20 hard
> drives you can afford a $500 US mobo though but I would say these make
> no effort to conserve power.
>
> John

There are a number of MBs out there that have multiple PCIe(x8/x16)
slots in them. a number of companies make really nice 8 and 12 and 16 and...
sata connection cards. 8 sata connections will max out a x8 pci slot.
some of those cards are software raid only some are hardware raid.
having 20 drives in a raid5 or raid6 config has got be a huge
load on the cpu if its software raid you are going for.
lets hope you arent transcoding on this at the same time...
Of course the hardware raid cards are about $100/sata connection. :)

having done the exercise over the last couple weeks the best
price/performance setup I could come up with are external 8 sata
drive enclosures (connected via esata multilane) hooked
into PCIex8 sas cards (8 drive connectors) and a nice dual core
cpu. found a MB that has 2 pciex8 slots. any case will do at
this point for just the MB. this gives 8T of raid5 for $3k
and 16T (2 enclosures and cards) for $5k. the main expense
was of course 1T drives at ~$170 each.
cpu load I didnt care as this is just a fileserver not
a BE.

"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
--
Steve Heistand
steve at heistand.org