[mythtv-users] NAS mobo

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Aug 21 14:04:42 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>
>>> Hadn't thought of PCIe, guess I'm living in the past with the 133Mhz.
>>> 64-bit bus architecture.
>>>

>> PCI-X will work as well but it will require a more expensive server
>> board. I guess if you are going to spend $2000 US or more  on 20 hard
>> drives you can afford a $500 US mobo though but I would say these make
>> no effort to conserve power.
>>

> With Terrabyte drives available, I'm not sure a 20-drive array is
> reasonable for a MythTV system, but I guess some people watch more TV
> than I do :-)
>
> I'm not sure of the OP was interested in the speed or the capacity of
> such an array, but the speed is limited by the network and the capacity
> might be overkill.
>
> Sounds like one of those "because I can" projects, but they can be the
> most fun :-)
>
> I once heard such things described as a triumph of engineering over
> common sense.

LOL!

Well, sort of...  It's because I may need to.

I not only store TV shows, I do commercial backups for companies.  Sort
of like rsync.net, only better.  ;-)

So my once-ample 1.5 TB array has been filled to capacity and then some.

The idea is to get a box that I can stick in my rack, and then add 1TB
drives as needed and grow the array.  The box would only be a NAS; no
processing at all.  Since the streams are limited to mythv + internet, a
gigabit connection should be ample for the forseeable future.

If I can figure out a path to a 20TB array that I can implement today
with, say, 3 1TB drives, and add drives as needed, I may be ahead of the
game for a few years.

What I don't want to do is to implement a solution today and then have
to rip it out a year later.  If nothing else, do you have any idea how
long rsync takes to dump and verify a TB over an ethernet connection? 2+
days, and it's not quite done.....  I hate to think what I'd have to do
with a 5 or 10 TB array.....

--Yan

--
  o__

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation