[mythtv-users] NAS mobo

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Thu Aug 21 16:13:53 UTC 2008

> PCI-X is still very valid in the server space, and lots of good cards
> are available. PCI-E is catching up with it in terms of penetration
> though. In a 20 disk configuration like this PCI-X will be just as good
> as PCI-E.

Just as a data point for you, Yan - at work I have a Sunfire X4500
server (basically an AMD motherboard, 2 dual core procs, and slots for
42 SATA disks).  It's currently running linux software RAID, and I'm
very happy with it.

I'm not sure of the motherboard - likely a Sun proprietary one.  But,
the chipset is all AMD, and it's PCI-X.

The heart of the thing are the SATA controllers.  It has 6 Marvell SATA
controllers:

Marvell Technology Group Ltd. MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller
(rev 09)

They work very well, and I have had no issues with the thing at all.
It's probably overkill for your project, but if you can find a card with
that Marvell SATA controller, you'll likely be happy....

Matt White                          whitem at artsandscience.usask.ca
Arts and Science IT                 University of Saskatchewan