[mythtv-users] How do I install latest fixes?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Thu Aug 21 18:44:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Mike Holden <mythtv at mikeholden.org>
>> wrote:

>> > When you say you upgraded _one of the frontentds_, does that mean that
>> > you
>> > have other frontends and a backend that have _not_ been upgraded? You
>> > will
>> > need to do all of them.
>>
>> I don't believe he was upgrading versions - he was obtaining bug fixes
>> for the branch version he already has.  In that case, everything
>> should be fine (said more technically, any svn version on a particular
>> branch should talk to any other svn version on the same branch).  This
>> obviously is not the case for the trunk.
>
> Never make that assumption.  It is entirely possible (but maybe not the
> case) that database changes are introduced as part of a bug fix.  You should
> *always* run the same branch + revision of Myth on every box.

I understand about not making assumptions, and obviously it would be
preferred to run the same revision, but has there been any database
changes after a branch was released in modern history (say 0.19 or
newer)?  I grant you it is possible, but so are lots of other things
that we worry even less about...

On the other side of the coin, if you've got an install, it generally
isn't difficult to upgrade all instances to the same revision, so you
might as well do it.

   Marc