[mythtv-users] NAS mobo

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Thu Aug 21 20:10:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 07:04:42AM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:

> What I don't want to do is to implement a solution today and then have
> to rip it out a year later.  If nothing else, do you have any idea how
> long rsync takes to dump and verify a TB over an ethernet connection? 2+
> days, and it's not quite done.....  I hate to think what I'd have to do
> with a 5 or 10 TB array.....

Gigabit ethernet, 80% efficiency, straight throughput: 800Mb/s,
= 100MB/s, = 10,000 seconds for a terabyte. So, 2 hours 45
minutes. Call it 3 hours per TB.

You aren't getting 100MB/s off your disks, or you aren't able to
write that fast, or you're using rsync inappropriately (perhaps
in combination with SSH). I would guess all three. If you want
to transfer a large amount of data quickly, rsync's default
options aren't the way to go. Rsync might not be the way to go
for the initial transfer, really.

-dsr-

When freedom gets lots of exercise, it protects itself.