[mythtv-users] Backend constantly dies

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Thu Aug 21 20:52:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 11:35 -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2008, at 11:12 AM, r2d2 wrote:
>
> > I have the same problem and I use monit :
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Status_Monitoring_How_To.
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion. I'd rather not band-aid the problem. I'm
> getting the feeling like switching to Mythbuntu was a big mistake. My
> remote mythbuntu frontend has been solid for months so I thought I
> would move my master backend over to it, too. The reason I switched is
> because for the life of me I couldn't get h.264 recordings to play
> with audio on F8. Now I get choppy h.264 recordings with audio and a
> backend that dies several times a day, but other times remains solid
> for several hours of normal use and a log file that simply tells me
> the backend went away without any indication as to why.
>

> I guess there is some solace in knowing I'm not alone.
>

> -Brad

Are you running the latest -fixes branch for Mythbuntu?
http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds
I have not followed the entire thread, but my Mythbuntu 8.04 system has been rock solid for ages.
For h.264 stuff there are some packages built by Paul Kendall that have more up to date ffmpeg and such.
http://pkendall.homeip.net/
You could try them to see if they improve things. I believe he is working on fixes for New Zealand
DVB-T stuff that is broadcast as h.264.