[mythtv-users] Question on video card upgrade for best HD with KDE 4

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 21 23:27:02 UTC 2008

Scott Harris wrote:
> I currently have
>   nVidia Corporation GeForce 7100 GS (rev a1)
>
> Running with Fedora Core 9, kernel 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.x86_64,
>   KDE 4 and nvidia driver version 173.14.12-28.x86_64.
>
> I'm getting a lot of tearing/artifacts after the upgrade from
> a stable, well working FC8 system.  I've tried a lot of the
> suggestions I've seen on the nvidia site, all yield basically
> the same quality.
>
> If I were to try a new video card to try and help things out,
> would it be as simple as checking out a page like this:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html
>
> And finding one that has better performance in the appropriate
> fields?  All this is in pursuit of HD.  I was using the
> linux CoreAVC stuff on FC8 with great results.

I'd take that chart with a large grain of salt. Suggesting a 9500 for a
"casual gamer" or "home PC user" sure sounds like "advice" coming from
the guys selling the stuff.

A 5200 is probably the best card for MythTV, better even than 6xxx or
later cards, as it has chroma-key, while the later cards do not.
Anything heftier is wasted, and the lack of XvMC on the most recent
cards makes them less useful than older ones.

The typical "home PC user" is often very happy with the most basic of video.

beww