[mythtv-users] How do I auto transcode

Bob Long bob at oblong.com.au
Fri Aug 22 02:42:12 UTC 2008

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
>> In mythfrontend, setup > tv > general page 2, you should see "Run
> transcoder" near the bottom, is it checked?
>

> OK, it did the recording, and commflagged it like normal, but did not
> transcode it. If I manually tell it to transcode, it will, but I have
> to do this every single time.
>
> Am I the only lonely soul with this problem? Does anyone else use auto
> transcoding?
>
> -Steve

For 0.21,

(A) Had the same problem here. I had this ticked:
Frontend setup|TV Settings|General|(page 3)|Run transcoder, but it did not
help.

(B) But ticking:
Frontend setup|TV Settings|Recording profiles|Hardware DVB
Encoders|Default|Enable auto-transcode after recording
did then auto-transcode.

Then I unticked (A) Frontend setup|TV Settings|General|(page 3)|Run
transcoder, does still auto-transcode.

Setting (B) seems to set the flag in MythWeb to default to auto-transcoding.
For most programs I don't want that, and I'll tick the MythWeb
auto-transcode box when required.

So, in short, it seems setting (B) is needed for auto-transcode to actually
work, and (A) is optional for setting when you want it.

--
Bob Long