[mythtv-users] Can a backup of a 0.20 database be imported to a 0.21 install?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Aug 22 14:38:50 UTC 2008

Duncan Brown wrote:
> Fred Squires wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to be migrating from 0.20 to 0.21 soon and at the same time
>>> undertaking a hardware reconfiguration and change of OS. I have everything
>>> else mapped out and planned well and I feel very confident in the migration.
>>>
>>> One piece remains though that is uncharted territory for me as I am not much
>>> of a MySQL expert, or very knowledgable about databases in general. I need
>>> to know if it's possible to migrate my MythTV database data by backing it up
>>> and restoring it. I've done this before, but only in a 0.20 to 0.20
>>> situation and I know there are significant differences in 0.21.
>>>
>>> So, has anyone done this? If so do you have documentation?
>>>
>>> The best thing I have found so far is here:
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc23.5
>>> and following the directions up through 23.7
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance everyone.
>>>
>> This will be fine as long as you run mythtvsetup after you restore
>> your database but before you start the backend.
>> mythtvsetup will upgrade your .20 DB to .21.
>>

> A google on 'backing up and restoring mysql database'
>
> The first one that came up seemed good enough, but you have plenty of
> results to choose from.
>
> Then just install mythtv, run mythtv-setup, and it will upgrade it for you

To be clear about this: back up your database before you destroy your existing
system. Back it up to a file on a partition that you are not going to initialise
for your new system. Your mythtv storage directory might be a good place.

Then wipe your OS and install the new one. Before bringing up mythtv-setup,
restore the database from wherever you saved it. When you run mythtv-setup it
will upgrade your database as required.

--

Mike Perkins