[mythtv-users] Can a backup of a 0.20 database be imported to a 0.21 install?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 22 15:12:25 UTC 2008

On 08/21/2008 02:08 PM, Joe Borne wrote:
> I'm going to be migrating from 0.20 to 0.21 soon and at the same time
> undertaking a hardware reconfiguration and change of OS. I have
> everything else mapped out and planned well and I feel very confident
> in the migration.
>
> One piece remains though that is uncharted territory for me as I am
> not much of a MySQL expert, or very knowledgable about databases in
> general. I need to know if it's possible to migrate my MythTV database
> data by backing it up and restoring it. I've done this before, but
> only in a 0.20 to 0.20 situation and I know there are significant
> differences in 0.21.
>
> So, has anyone done this? If so do you have documentation?
>
> The best thing I have found so far is here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc23.5
> and following the directions up through 23.7

Better:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore

The --help in the script has all the info you need, but there are some
nice examples in the wiki page.

How do you get there?

Go to: http://wiki.mythtv.org/
Click on the link, "Backup your database" (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Backup_your_database )
Then follow the link in the first section.

Mike