[mythtv-users] Playback of HDTV, HDHomeRun

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:49:19 UTC 2008

David Smiley wrote:
> This is probably a newbie question but where exactly in mythtv do I tell it to "transcode" (if that is the right term here) the file using the mencoder options you gave?  I did look already but I'm confused.  Whenever I see references to mythtranscode, it seems to be in the context of exporting out of mythtv which I don't want to do.  Maybe I'm supposed to set up a special "job" for this; I'm not sure.
>
> ~ David

David,

I am not the last poster, but you should look at a script I wrote called
makempeg2 it is to convert HD formats to a mpeg2 format that mvpmc (a settop box
frontend) can support (lower resolution, lower bitrates, much much smaller), and
has instructions on how to add it in as a user job that is ran after each
recording, if the format is already something lower bitrate/lower resolution it
won't touch it, it does convert anything with AC3 audio into mp3 which might be
something that you don't want to do (you also may not care).

Included in this email is the current version of the script, it should take care
of dealing with 4:3 letterboxing and keeping the aspect ratio the same, it
currently leaves the original file as ".mpg.orig" which need to be cleaned up
every so often.

                        Roger