[mythtv-users] DVR Capability

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 17:56:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:
> I work at our local police service and our station was hit with
> lightning last week. It knocked out alot of our equipment including
> our DVR for the interview room.
>
> I was thinking of building a mythbox that will allow me to record from
> a video camera.
>
> One feature myth has is the integrated burn to dvd function. That is a
> nice feature.
>
> Has anyone else attempted something like this before?
>
> All I need to be able to do is create a manual recording with a time
> and date stamp, from a video source such as composite in, which I
> think I can do from a PVR 250 card.
>
> I only need to be able to record this input, and then I would be able
> to sort it by time and date. Then I could pick an interview and record
> it to dvd with mythburn.

I have recorded in to the composite in from my PVR-250 with no
problem. Myth would seem to be overkill for your use, but it does have
the nice "Watch Recordings" so others can easily navigate and view
from multiple frontends. Multiple FEs might be helpful in your case
where others can view at their leisure at their own desktop.

Installing MythWeb to view recordings could make it even easier for
others not using Linux.

I don't know how you can change the title of each recording except to
get into the MySql dBase - I would think you'd need that to properly
ID the recording. I'd like to know, though.

There's a ZoneMinder (http://www.zoneminder.com/index.html) plugin
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythZoneMinder) which is not
what you want, but you might get some ideas from it.

--
Brad Fuller
www.bradfuller.com