[mythtv-users] external tuner board with up to 6 DVB tuners

bastard mail birdman.bastard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 18:37:51 UTC 2008

I'm currently reading through the forum. The board is used in their premium
DVB receiver (Reelbox Avantgarde). The VDR guys are very actively using the
board as well.
All you need on the linux side is a dvbloopback module from their SVN. There
are additional tools for debugging and uploading firmware. The developers
confirmed that it can be used by any Linux application which can talk to the
standard DVB API. The only issue seems to be DVB-S2 which can't be used
without a patch for VDR. A similar patch would need to be created for
Mythtv. The other DVB variants are working out of stock.
The board itself is around 150 euro. The DVB boards are between 70 and 100
euro (single tuner, dual tuner). A power supply is not contained and must be
purchased additionally (around 70 euro).
The nice thing is that the board can be used by different backends in
parallel (if resources are free).
I'm waiting until the first Intel dual core Atom 330 is available and will
build a new backend with it.
Will keep you updated.

Regards,
Michael