[mythtv-users] Sorting through 2nd hand TV tuners

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 19:48:27 UTC 2008

I did a trade with a local guy who refurbishes old PCs for those who
would not be able to afford computers without help. I passed on a
bunch of PC parts that were just taking up room in my place for a
bunch of TV tuner/video cards (part of an over due tidy up...).
Likewise from the refurbish guys point of view these cards are of zero
interest and he is willing enough to get rid of them...

Now I am attempting to sort through which cards have any value to me
(first glance appears none of the cards are new/powerful enough), and
which cards could be worth passing on to other local folks starting
out with MythTV (the Avermedia card has clear promise, apparently
supported by the bttv driver, the rest I have doubts about).

There are some annoying issues with the ATI cards. The only thing I
can see on the ATI cards are things like a part number, not the sort
of names names these cards are listed under. Of further annoyance is
finding out that Linux (thus MythTV) support for the ATI cards is at
best iffy...

So, which of the following should be on a fast track to the hands of
the few Windows users that I know or to the dump...

ATI 109-34100-10 - ISA TV tuner card (who uses ISA anymore...)
ATI 109-38600-00 - PCI video card / TV tuner card
ATI 109-44600-10 - AGP video card / TV tuner card
ATI 109-63200-00 (Rage Theater?) - AGP video card / composite video in card
Avermedia M168 - PCI TV tuner card (appears to be bttv supported)
Creative CT7240 - PCI DVD Decoder Card

Thanks.

Colin McGregor