[mythtv-users] FCC Broadcast Digital Channel Requirements

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Aug 22 21:38:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 14:06 -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It was my understanding that the FCC requires cable companies to
> transmit, unencrypted, all local broadcast channels over their cable
> network. For instance, I have the Time Warner Basic Cable package in
> Columbus, OH that gives me access to most of the analog channels.
> Although I have not ordered any digital package, I have also been able
> to receive the digital versions of the local ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS,
> and The CW channels. I just realized today that I can no longer
> receive FOX or ABC. Interestingly, they both are subchannels of the
> same ATSC channel. I called up the Time Warner Cable support line, and
> I was told that because I do not have any digital package I should not
> be receiving any digital channels.
>
> First, am I correct in my assumption that the FCC requires cable
> companies to transmit local broadcast channels in all circumstances,
> analog and digital? Second, if that's true, does anyone know of where
> I can find the FCC regulations stipulating this in case I have to
> lodge a formal complaint?

You can search this forum for the actual regulations, I've posted
them here before. They do have to provide the digital stations
unmolested, i.e. including EIT and without encryption or renumbering.
They only have to carry stations which are both "full power" and
"must-carry" stations. The FOX and Disney networks (which includes ABC)
opted out of "must-carry" status so your cable operator does not
have to carry them, and in fact has to license them along with other
useless channels owned by the same conglomerate in order to carry
them at all. The TimeWarner junk level support personel you talked
to do not know what they are talking about, if you are getting an
encrypted ABC and FOX, so is your neighbor with the "digital" plan.
There is a different regulation on Firewire however, and you do need
to have the HD plan to demand an STB with firewire.

If the cable operator opts to carry those two networks, I don't
know for sure if the same regulations would apply. My assumption
is that they do, and this is just an oversight on their part.
But before I would call the local regulator I would look up the
regulations and re-read them. Don't bother writing to the FCC,
unless you are complaining about tits or a "pirate" station, the
complaint will go directly into the round file.

-- Daniel