[mythtv-users] DVR Capability

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Aug 22 22:50:50 UTC 2008

Brad Fuller wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Timecode (burned-in or otherwise) is handy, but it is a far cry from
>> "proof" of when something happened.
>
> I'm sure that the OP has more experience than us regarding the
> integrity of the video, so I think we should honor his expertise -- of
> course unless you are in this business.
>
> And thus, my OT question. I always wondered how it could be proved
> that a file had a certain date, or not, or if timecode was real or
> not. Of course, you only need to convince the jury, but i wonder if
> timecode is even used in court today. It's easy to change. It's not
> like audio forensics where  special attention is paid to critiquing
> background ambience, for example. Or photography forensics that
> closely scrutinizes photos for photoshop trickery.

A friend of mine once applied for a job with an unnamed federal agency.
The position involved analyzing video to determine if it had been
edited. So I know for a fact that they are concerned with this matter.

Given the things that can be done with video and still photos these days
I'm surprised any of it is acceptable "evidence". I'd guess that the
most critical thing would be the ability to track exactly where the
video media was from the time it was shot to the time it was presented,
as is the case with most evidence.

My friend was offered the job, but he turned it down due to insufficient
compensation.

beww