[mythtv-users] FCC Broadcast Digital Channel Requirements

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 06:07:33 UTC 2008

> http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2007/octqtr/pdf/47cfr76.56.pdf
>

> (d) Availability of Signals. (1) Local commercial television stations
> carried in fulfillment of the requirements of this section shall be
> provided to every subscriber of a cable system. Such signals shall be
> viewable via cable on all television receivers of a subscriber which are
> connected to a cable system by a cable operator or for which a cable
> operator provides a connection.
>
> If the OP wants to raise some hell with the supplier he can refer them
> to 76.1614 which according to the note on 76.56 says: Section 76.1614
> provides response requirements for a cable operator who receives a
> written request to identify its must-carry signals.

I've found in dealing with Comcast that quoting regulations or
attempting technical discussions with the phone support gets you
nowhere.

The best way to approach it is to be calm, rational, and explain what
you want in lay terms. And when the time is right mention that you'll
be reporting the whole matter to [insert name here] at your local PUC,
cable commission, or whatever branch of local government regulates
cable in your area.

To your Comcast telephone drone, the FCC means about as much as the
easter bunny. Vague threats of  difficult conversations with local
government regulators, however, should get you on the phone with a
supervisor in no time. They'd rather just give you what you want than
stir up trouble with the city.

Find out who sits on your local regulator, and don't be afraid to use
the name. The phone person won't know who it is, but will know what
the PUC is; the supervisor who calls you will know the name, and won't
want to talk to that person.

Good luck.