[mythtv-users] Bob and TV-Out: refresh rate too low

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sun Aug 24 14:22:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 5:31 AM, Thomas Börkel <thomas at boerkel.de> wrote:
> HI!
>
> Allen Edwards wrote:
>
>> I saw this on my system as well but assumed that since S-Video was
>> interlaced, why would you de-interlace it.  Is this a problem?
>
> You are right. That would be the ideal solution. Otherwise MythTV
> deinterlaces an originally interlaced signal and then the TV encoder of
> the gfx card interlaces it again.
>
> The problem is, the NVidia driver will only passthrough the original
> interlaced signal, if you have the correct TV resolution and even then
> it does not work with all driver versions.
>
> But when I use the correct resolution (720x576) for PAL, then the driver
> outputs ca. 60 Hz and I don't know why.
>
> So, the 2nd best solution would be to have 800x600 with exactly 50 Hz,
> which worked in older driver versions, and use Bob. Unfortunately, newer
> driver versions use (or at least report) 49.99 Hz and then MythTV
> refuses to use Bob.
>
> Thomas
> _____________

I know this is probably not what you are looking for but this is what
I do for resolution and I am extremely happy with the picture on my 36
inch CRT TV:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen1"
        Device          "Videocard1"
        Monitor         "Monitor1"
        Option          "TwinView"      "0"
        Option          "metamodes"     "TV: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
        Option          "AddARGBGLXVisuals"     "True"
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   24
        EndSubSection
        Defaultdepth    24
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Videocard1"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Vendorname      "NVIDIA Corporation"
        Boardname       "GeForce 6200 LE"
        Busid           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option          "UseDisplayDevice"      "TV-0"
        Screen  1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        # HorizSync source: xconfig, VertRefresh source: xconfig
        Identifier      "Monitor1"
        Vendorname      "Unknown"
        Modelname       "TV-0"
        Horizsync       28.0    -       49.0
        Vertrefresh     24.0    -       61.0
        Option          "DPMS"
        Option          "TVOverScan"    "1.0"
EndSection

Note, the TVOverScan doesn't work but it is still in my file...

I also have a projector and it has its own setup.  Also, this isn't
PAL so may not apply, but just in case it is useful, here it is.

Allen