[mythtv-users] Issues with MyMote

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 14:53:05 UTC 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 7:48 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:

> I just downloaded MyMote from the App store and am having issues.
> There's already an open bug with the same issues I'm having (http://trac2.assembla.com/mymote/report/1
> ) and I a) Don't want to post a duplicate and b) Want to see if it's
> an actual bug or just an issue with my setup. Hope this isn't too
> off-topic for the list but I'm not sure where else to post it.
> Here's my problem:
>
> I have a combined FE/BE as my main Myth machine, running MythBuntu
> 7.10 upgraded to Myth 0.21 via standard repos. I can connect to it
> from MythTV Player in Windows and have connected to it from OS X and
> Mythbuntu FEs in the past, although neither of these machines are
> around anymore. I'm running a local DNS domain (Win2K3 Server) of
> jerkychew.local and can ping my FE/BE by name (magic or
> magic.jerkychew.local) from other machines at my house. I am running
> a non-jailbroken 32GB iPod touch over standard wide-open WiFi.
> Finally, the RR GH Myth remote app does work without issue - The key
> bindings sometimes take a few seconds to load but I'm blaming that
> on the app at this point.
>
> When I installed the app it auto-detected my backend, and then after
> a few seconds loaded the name of the frontend ("magic"). I tried to
> connect but it sat at the retrieving key bindings screen forever.
> Eventually it said that the key bindings couldn't be loaded and it
> would load the defaults. Eventually I received an error stating that
> the remote control connection to the Mythtv frontend has received an
> error. I went back and manually added the BE by IP. Same behavior. I
> went to the override section of the FE (After battling the constant
> popups telling me it was connecting... / select frontend...) and
> entered the IP, but the behavior was the same. I also tried
> "magic.jerkychew.local", nothing.
>
> I ensured that I could telnet to the machine on the port specified
> in the wiki and as I said above, RR GH works. I went into the two
> wifi connections of my iPod and set the search domain to
> jerkychew.local, no luck. One oddity of my network is that when I
> type hostname on the BE/FE I get just "magic" and not
> "magic.jerkychew.local". I tried changing the hostname to the FQDN
> and rebooting but everything blew up - I could no longer watch live
> tv. So, I changed it back, rebooted, and Myth recuperated.
>
> I'm out of ideas and would love some input. If the local hostname
> really is an issue I suppose I can rename it, reboot and figure out
> what the heck is wrong but like I said earlier, other FEs have no
> problem connecting and RR GH works without issue.

A couple things I would like to suggest (I am the MyMote developer):

1. The fact that the key bindings retrieval isn't working is a
separate issue from anything else. This shows that using the database
settings your backend uses to connect to the MySQL database is not
working for MyMote. Usually this is due to the MySQL privileges since
most MythTV installations do not allow remote connections by default.
The two things you must do to enable remote access is 1. either remove
the bind-address line in /etc/mysql/my.cnf or set it to the external
IP address of your server, and 2. set up the security privileges for
remote access (http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2
under "Modifying access to the MySQL database for multiple systems).
Then, you have to make sure that your backend settings use the same
privileges as MyMote can use to access the database remotely. For
instance, if you have a password for remote access, but none for local
access, then the backend needs to be using the password. MyMote
retrieves the username and password that the backend uses to try to
access the database. To change the database user and password, shut
down mythbackend, remove ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt for the user mythbackend
runs as, then run mythtv-setup. It will then ask you for the database
settings before continuing through the setup screens. Once you've
connected to the database, you can safely leave mythtv-setup and start
mythbackend again. You can double check the username and password used
to connect to your backend at http://<mythbackend address>:6544/Myth/
GetConnectionInfo.

2. The issue with the remote not connecting to the frontend sounds
like MyMote can't resolve your frontend address. Instead of specifying
hostnames in the MyMote frontend override, have you tried the IP
address of the frontend? That would at least narrow the issue down to
name resolution of the frontend by your iPhone or iPod touch.

Lastly, I do troll on the mythtv-users mailing list, but I may not
always see every MyMote related note. If you want to be sure to reach
me, CC mymote.support at gmail.com or just post or add a comment to the
tickets for MyMote.

Thanks,
Chase Douglas