[mythtv-users] FCC Broadcast Digital Channel Requirements

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Aug 24 17:17:13 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> Chase Douglas wrote:
>
>> I will still try to contact my local TWC office as well as the public
>> utilities commission to put pressure on them to reverse the
>> encryption. Hopefully that will be enough as the FCC isn't going to
>> help me out. Aside from that, I tried hooking up plain old rabbit ears
>> to my tv and was able to pick up all the local digital broadcast
>> channels that I want anyways, I believe at a higher quality as well.
>> So in the end I'll be switching over to using the airwaves for these
>> stations anyways.
>
> You probably want to contact the management of the stations involved.
> Most station managers get very upset if somebody who wants to watch
> their programs (and advertisements) is encountering difficulty of any
> sort, and TWC is more likely to listen to a station manager than a mere
> paying customer.

(Don't you hate people who respond to their own posts?)

I have also heard of agreements between stations and cable companies
that specify carriage on the "basic tier" or "unscrambled". I don't know
if the stations involved are "must carrys" or have contracted for
carriage, but it's worth looking into.

beww