[mythtv-users] How do I undo a mythrename oops?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Sun Aug 24 23:37:16 UTC 2008

On Sun Aug 24, 2008 at 06:11:50PM -0500, Craig Huff wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I managed to accidentally run mythrename without parameters and it
> > obligingly renamed all the files in /video/recordings.
> >
> > Gaaaahhh!  Head hung low in shame with egg on my face.  Gotta watch
> > those errant carriage returns!
> >
> > They're still there, but...  How do I figure out what the right names
> > are for each of them?
> >
> > Craig.
> >

> Okay... This is not what I expected...  Most of the videos are usable
> with the revised filenames.  It's not the use I normally make of
> mythrename, but perhaps that was one of its intended functions -- to
> rename the 1073_20080103025800.mpg type files to human readable form
> and update the database so MythTV can find them to show?

That was the primary function, yes - hence what it does by default.

> If that's the case, then the problem becomes: "How do I find the ones
> whose filenames don't match what MythTV expects and then how do I fix
> them, and is there an easier way to find them than manually trying to
> play each one in MythTV?"

There shouldn't be any that don't match - I'm pretty sure mythrename
works from the database, so any file renamed will exist (and be updated)
in the database.

If you want to rename them back then you can just rerun mythrename with
the appropriate template string (which I think is "%c_%Y%m%d%H%i%s").

Cheers,
    Robin
--
     ___