[mythtv-users] Dual Boot?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Aug 25 16:46:28 UTC 2008

Drew Gilbert wrote:
> Allen Edwards wrote:
>> I have my mythfrontend system working on sda but I want to be able to
>> add my wife's existing Windows XP HD on sdb as a dual boot option.
>> She has an XP machine with the same basic computer.  I have verified
>> that Mythbuntu 8.04 is running on a sda and the stand alone Windows XP
>> will be on sdb.  I can boot from either one by selecting it in the
>> bios setup but obviously that is not a solution.
>>
>> Best I could figure was to add this to the boot loader:
>> title Windows XP
>> root (sdb)
>> makeactive
>> chainloader +1
>>
>> I get the Windows option showing up in GRUB, but I get an error
>> message when I select it.
>>
>> But obviously I don't know what I am doing.
>>
>> In looking for answers, pretty much people say load Windows first.
>> But I already have both loaded and on their own disks, so that doesn't
>> help.
>>
>> This seems like it should be very easy.  I need to get this running
>> this week for my wife's birthday on the 27th.
>>
>> Help on this would be appreciated.  I just can't find much in the
>> ubuntu wiki or through google.
>>
>> Allen
>>
> As you are using a different hdd you will need to map the drive so that
> Windows can boot from it. Try something like this:
>
> title Windows XP
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> map (hd1) (hd0)
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> root (hd1,0)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
>
> Hope this helps.

An even easier route, which would avoid the mapping, would be to swap
the cables on the two drives. Then Winblows would always be !first!,
just like it wants to be. You linux drive doesn't care where it is. Grub
will go on the second drive, with its "root" at (hd1,0).
You just have to remember to set the BIOS to point to the correct drive
first.
Geoff