[mythtv-users] Is cable going widescreen?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Aug 25 18:36:20 UTC 2008

>>Also, your assumptions are wrong about OTA digital. OA digital doesn't
necessarily mean wide screen. It doesn't necessarily mean high definition,
either. >>My local PBS station provides a few subchannels that are 4:3 and
standard definition broadcast over the air digital. NBC sends along a
weather sub-
>>channel with these specs, too. You will find that *most* stations will
broadcast in widescreen and high definition because the spec allows them to
and
>>they want to keep people watching. :)
>>

>>-Brad

While I did know that digital doesn't mean hd nor 16:9, I guess I should
have been more clear about my question. I have not seen NBC for example,
broadcast their main digital channel (not talking about any of the subs) in
less than HD, or in 4:3. They've all been 16:9 and HD.

When you switch to the analog version of nbc, they crop the left and right
sides to give you the 4:3. So my question, is will this cropping continue
after the digital deadline in feb 2009 for the cable people who still watch
regular NBC (in this example)?

-Thanks
-Steve